Subject-verb agreement is an essential grammatical rule that students need to master while studying English. It refers to the use of the appropriate form of the verb that agrees with the subject in a sentence. This rule is crucial for effective communication, and it can impact the clarity and coherence of a text.
To help students practice this rule, the class 10 CBSE board has included multiple-choice questions (MCQs) on subject-verb agreement in the English language exam. These MCQs test the students` understanding of the rule and their ability to identify the correct verb form that agrees with the subject.
In this article, we will discuss some tips for solving subject-verb agreement MCQs and provide a sample exercise for class 10 students.
Tips for Solving Subject-Verb Agreement MCQs
1. Identify the subject of the sentence: The subject is the noun or pronoun that performs the action in a sentence. It is essential to identify the subject to determine the correct verb form that agrees with it.
2. Check for plural or singular subjects: The verb form changes depending on whether the subject is singular or plural. For example, « She walks » is correct, while « She walk » is incorrect.
3. Pay attention to the tense of the sentence: The verb form changes depending on the tense of the sentence, such as present, past, or future. For example, « I am eating » is present tense, while « I ate » is past tense.
4. Look for subject-verb agreement markers: Some words and phrases in a sentence can indicate whether the subject is singular or plural, such as « each, » « every, » or « many. » These markers can help you determine the correct verb form.
Sample Exercise for Class 10
Choose the correct verb form that agrees with the subject in each of the following sentences:
1. Neither of the boys __________ (has/have) done their homework.
2. The group of students __________ (is/are) going on a field trip today.
3. Either the cake or the cookies __________ (taste/tastes) delicious.
4. My dog, as well as my cats, __________ (is/are) sleeping in the sun.
5. Ten dollars __________ (is/are) too much to pay for a cup of coffee.
Answer key: 1. has, 2. is, 3. tastes, 4. are, 5. is.
In conclusion, subject-verb agreement is a crucial grammatical rule that students need to master to communicate effectively in English. By following the tips mentioned above, students can improve their understanding of the rule and their ability to solve subject-verb agreement MCQs. Practicing exercises like the one provided above can help students prepare for the class 10 board exam and achieve success in the English language.